The 2016 IGF (http://www.igf2016.mx/) took place in Guadalajara, Mexico from 6 – 9 December. AFRINIC staff and several FIRE Africagrantees made the trip to participate in this important global Internet governance event. We’ve put togethter an overview of the week’s highlight’s below:
Seed Alliance Award Ceremony
- The FIRE Africa Award winners received their trophies during the Seed Alliance Award ceremony which took place on 6th December, alongside the winners from the other Seed Alliancesister programmes, LACNIC’s FRIDA and APNIC’s ISIF Asia.
- Chosen from nearly 60 applications, the 2016 FIRE Africa Award winnersreceived a US$3,000 cash prize and a travel grant to attend the IGF 2016 to showcase their projects on the global stage, meet winners from other regions and network with other like-minded individuals and tech entrepreneurs.
- Alan Barrett, AFRINIC CEO, gave the opening speech and thanked the Seed Alliance sponsors, IDRC and the Internet Society, as well as former sponsor Sida who played a key part in setting up the strong foundations on which the Seed Alliance programme is based. Dr. Raúl Echeberría, Vice President Global Engagement – Internet Society, Paul Wilson, Director General – APNIC), Phet Sayo, IDRC, and Oscar Robles, CEO – LACNIC, also delivered speeches.
- “This is a chance for us to go beyond what we have achieved. It’s a clear chance for us to go for the dream that we have always dreamt of seeing in our community.” – Caleb Ndaka, Kids Comp Camp,
- ”The 2016 IGF is not only exciting for me, but it has been a platform for learning new ideas and challenging my status quo and comfort zones. I am re-energised and ready to make a purposeful difference in the world. I am the one the World has been waiting for!” – Didas Mzirai, 21st Century Digital Farmer, Mucho Mango, Kenya.
- “When I got the email confirmation for my invitation I said ‘What?! But it was true!'” –Tonny Okwonga BOSCO Uganda (http://boscouganda.com/), Uganda.
- ‘’Success inspires success and AFRINIC inspires us to do more.’’ – Alieu Sowe, All Girls Tech Campby Give1ProjectGambia, The Gambia.
- “It is so inspiring to meet and spend time with great people doing great things around Africa and the world. We are very grateful to be recognised for our work on the world stage and have left with many more ideas to improve and expand!’’ – Tim Human, Tobetsa and WiFi TV Extension Project, South Africa